Commissions can be paid by either the buyer or seller in a real estate transaction to a real estate agent, a broker, or both. If there is an issue with any of the payment or division of a commission, the parties often take legal action for resolution. Commission disputes are civil actions that are not investigated by the Arizona Department of Real Estate.
- The most common commission disputes we see include:
- Disagreements between individuals splitting the commission
- Individual seeking commission without a written agreement
- An unlicensed individual seeking a commission; or
- A procuring cause challenge (trying to determine which party actually procured the sale and deserves the commission).
If you are interested in learning how to avoid commission disputes or are already involved in one, call Skinner Law Group today at (480) 422-3440 to schedule your real estate consultation.